Old 02-19-21, 07:14 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pederson racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1066 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 353 Posts
Originally Posted by SpeedofLite View Post
Cool! Thanks for posting the photo.
Have you used other wheels from the same era that provided a more predictable ride on it?
It's a beautiful bike.
I really like the look of DA 7400 on that frame.
Yes, I finally figured out why the bike would sometimes wander on me when, on a hunch, I swapped wheels with a fellow rider.
He said my front wheel caused no issues on his bike, but on mine the steering was completely well-behaved using the other (box section btw) front wheel. His bike was one of the steeper-angled Masi frames from tha late-1980's for what that's worth.
The 4000 has steep angles, reportedly 74x74, so with the steering being on the light side it just doesn't seem to like those old-school aero rims when there's any wind around.
I've ridden another (albeit steel) aero-framed road bike that had uncomfortable steering, but only at high speed, and I'm suddenly remembering that it too used early-type aero rims.

I'm suspecting also that aero-profile main tubes tend to be none too laterally rigid!

Last edited by dddd; 02-19-21 at 07:20 PM.