Old 02-20-21, 11:32 AM
Artmo 

Bikes: '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road; '17 Circe Helios e-tandem:1994 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
I guess my point is to try and find a doctor who has had athletic patients or is at least open minded about it. If a doctor told me to limit 40 mile rides to twice a month he better have a good explanation or I'm looking for a second opinion.
There is climbing on my rides but I could do a flat 40 mile ride without raising my heart rate very much or red line it on a 40 mile ride with 4000 feet of climbing. It's time and intensity, not just miles.
About 10 years ago, when I was about 70, I had a nuclear stress test prior to having an ablation for afib. The electrocardiologist told me my calcium number was in the 90th percentile. When I asked what that meant, he said "One day you will feel a sharp pain."
I mentioned this to my cardiologist, a triathlete, who told me he doesn't pay much attention the calcium numbers as they only give some indication of hardening of arterial walls, not blockages. I chose a different electrocardiologist, since had two ablations and a pacemaker ( to correct resting HR of 34 with pauses) and am still riding at 80, albeit a bit slower than 10 years ago, but still managing 20-30 miles or so three times per week with 50W e-assist at times and max HR about 130!
Likes For Artmo: