Old 02-21-21, 10:27 PM
LV2TNDM

Bikes: Cannondale tandems: '92 Road, '97 Mtn. Mongoose 10.9 Ti, Kelly Deluxe, Tommaso Chorus, Cdale MT2000, Schwinn Deluxe Cruiser, Torker Unicycle, among others.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 207 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by PoeCo
So, we still haven't had an opportunity to ride because when we pulled the tandem out yesterday to prep for a ride, we realized that one of the spokes on the rear wheel was loose. Upon closer inspection, we realized that the rim was cracked in several places. Ugh. We check the wheels before every ride and hadn't noticed anything wrong before, but we're currently waiting for a replacement rim to have the wheel re-laced. Whether this has been the source of the noise? We're not sure, but since we're having that done, we're hopeful that maybe that was the problem. Still not convinced that was the issue though because when we stopped pedaling, the noise would stop. Will update when we actually source the problem!
Cracked rims are definitely bad and need to be addressed. But they really don't explain the sound stopping when you stop pedaling. I'm guessing it isn't that. But if it is, then great! Problem solved.

I chased a persistent creak caused during pedaling. Pedals, pedal cages, chainring bolts, crank arm/spindle interface, BB, seat post, etc. None of those were the culprit. It was the R derailleur hanger.

Basically, every fitting on a bike needs grease. There are exceptions (brake rotor bolts, caliper bolts, cantilever post bolts), but they are few. I'm always amazed that chainring bolts come on every single bicycle dry. And then people wonder why they fall out!

I'm rebuilding a Co-Motion Speedster. Simply blows me away how much wasn't assembled properly. Bone dry chainring bolts and many others on the bike. Even the stoker seatpost sleeve was dry in the frame, causing a fair bit of rust. And this bicycle was assembled by one of the most respected tandem shops in the Bay Area, yet still a BUNCH of stuff was skipped or not done thoroughly. So you simply have to assume that stuff's dry on your bike and has to be re-done. Only when you eliminate everything will the creak probably go away.

That said, today's press-fit BBs are NOTORIOUS for incessant, annoying creaks that cannot be remedied. Luckily, most tandems don't suffer the scourge of press-fit BB shells, so most avoid this issue.