Old 02-22-21, 12:53 AM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

Bikes: Fuji Transonic Elite, Marechal Soul Ultimate, Dahon Dash Altena

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 164 Posts
I tried last year and DNF after 5 repeats on Alpe du Zwift. I was going by vEveresting rules, so 100% trainer difficulty and no sleep during the attempt. Unfortunately I started too early in the morning (because I wanted to try to finish it before evening) and was extremely sleepy halfway; also at 100% trainer difficulty it was still tough work pushing the pedals at my bike's lightest gearing.

If you're not making an official vEveresting attempt, I think adjusting the trainer difficulty (or your actual gearing) to make the climbs easy on the legs would make a big difference (i.e. spinning vs grinding). Also important to have a good nutrition plan and have plenty of food and liquids nearby for easy access.

Also, a tip: Alpe du Zwift is the most popular vEveresting route because once you reach the top, it's a solid 10+ minutes downhill where you can just get off the bike to recover/stretch/eat/etc. With the other monster climb (Ventoux), there's a slight dip somewhere in the middle of Ventoux which stops you from being able to just freewheel all the way to the bottom for the next repeat.

I think some people have done it on Box Hill, but that's a hell lot of repeats to hit 8848m (or whatever the new value is).

Last edited by atwl77; 02-22-21 at 01:02 AM.
Likes For atwl77: