View Single Post
Old 02-24-21, 02:56 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: '18 Redline Zander MTB, '14 Surly Pugsley, '97 Trek MultiTrack 750, '70 Peugeot UO-18 Mixte

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1196 Post(s)
Liked 446 Times in 343 Posts
Originally Posted by bmcer View Post
Just received a Novatec D772SB hub, and it's going straight back to the vendor. It was set up with a Shimano road 11 speed freehub, but it will not work with my Ultegra Di2 drive train. The spacing on the drive side appears to put the cassette too far inboard and adjusting the shifter cannot accommodate that position. It came with a spacer ring, but with that behind the cassette, the lock ring cannot engage the free hub threads. Don't know if this is a common problem with this brand of hub, but I won't be buying any more of them.
Did you have a wheelset on the bike before this or is this a new build? How much distance is there between the end of the freehub and the drive side lock nut or end cap? I can't imagine there being so much room there that you wouldn't be able to hit the large sprocket of an 11-speed. You said your shifter won't accomodate that position...does the derailleur? Can the limit screws be adjusted so that the derailleur can physically move far enough over to that sprocket? If so, then it seems like a strange issue with the shifter or configuration somehow.

I don't have any experience with Di2, so I'm sure someone who is experienced will come along, but it almost seems like the shifter and derailleur aren't synchronized or "baselined" in the small sprocket position. I would think that you'd start with setting the H limit screw to where the derailleur is correctly positioned under the smallest sprocket, and then the system should more or less work from there, going up the cassette (regardless of the precise position of the freehub).