Old 02-25-21, 10:13 AM
niswanger

Bikes: About 5, maybe 6?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Mule View Post
Those rivets are not pop rivets. They were cast into the center body of the pedal and looked like pins. Then the cage was placed over these eight pins. Next a machine was used (they could have used a hammer and rivet set, but not for production) to apply force to deform the tops of the pins into the button shape that you see.

If you grind off or drill the rivets out, you can remove the cage. You can then, carefully mark the hole locations in the cage on the center body and drill and tap new holes where the rivets were. M5 screws might be the correct size. And then use M5 screws to fasten the cages to the center body.

It is a lot of work. You should be able to get it pretty clean without removing the cages.

If you do go with redrilling for screws, get pictures and post here.
Darn, would be interesting to know why this method? To me, both from a manufacturing process and service ability screws would have been better. Yes I can get them fairly clean, but I need to have the cage removed to get a proper surface prep on the body and cage to have the best anodize result (which will be black dyed cages, turns out sort of smokey colored and zero dye/clear on the body). Yes I can certainly do the machine work to make this happen, it's not just a matter if I want to run down that path? Thank you for responding.