View Single Post
Old 02-28-21, 09:34 AM
cathalferris
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
You've unfortunately appeared to have completely missed the point of this issue.

Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind
Here is the body of the email. Please note the red (by me) parts.
This email is intended for subscribers only. Bike Forums does not rent, sell, or lease customer information.
Bike Forums may not have specifically rented, sold, or leased customer information. It just may be that they have either given that information away, or they have had that information released through poor security on the PII stored. No matter how the information got away from the BF servers, it's my PII that is with an unauthorised-by-me unknown third party, being used for unsolicited commercial spam mails. So, this portion of your red highlighting is irrelevant to my complaint. It is irrelevant how my PII got away from you, but it's your fault and definitely your issue to resolve.

<some ibemail dot com website link> You have received this promotion as you are a registered member who has opted-in for Bike Forums newsletters.
On what planet does this "toxic protein" spam constitute a BF newsletter? Certainly not this one. And no, I did not specifically opt-in to anything relating to commercial "promotions" post-GDPR coming onstream, and certainly not this type of "promotion". If you have proof that I did, please show it here..
I honestly expected better from Bike Forums, but here we are still.

<some ibemail dot com website link>Remove Me |
This is a BikeForum problem to fix, and I'm following the correct procedure by bringing the GDPR violation to your attention to fix, before I take any further action from my side. I'm not going to actively inform a random third party spam source that my email address is a valid destination for spam email over and above what you lot have already provided. Just make sure that my email address is removed from their DB, and confirm that with me.

As a point of interest, your website is not GDPR compliant either - you have the cookies opt-in by default when it's required to be opt-out by default. I would suggest you fix this before claiming to that you are compliant with the laws.

--------
So, what actions are BikeForums going to take to resolve this security and GDPR issue that you have again been notified about?