View Single Post
Old 03-03-21, 12:43 PM
Rick CA

Bikes: (3) 1000w conversion mountain ebikes (budget bikes and kits). (2) 1500w fat tire conversion bikes (budget bikes and kits).

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
All: I'm going nuts on the learning curve of this forum. I've tried sending this via 'reply' a few times only to learn the forum wouldn't let me for one reason or another (links, jpg images, etc.) The it deleted all my text and I started from scratch...3x. Being a newbie causes some grief, but I shall overcome! I was also limited to five replies yesterday ( another newbie thing). I'm a spry 56-year old who feels like a 16-year old itching to get back into the garage and tinker with my new found knowledge. I'm also an honorably retired police detective (LAPD) and commend Doc-Wui for decoding my exact conversion kit and battery combo; much respect Doc!

So far my two 1500w fat bike builds pretty much only match my two other 1000w builds in performance, including hill climbing (those are Voilamart eBay kits on typical 21-speed mountain bakes), with the exception of the low voltage cut off situation; very underwhelming. Thankfully, I believe we are narrowing in on the reason/s for this sub-par performance. I know, "You get what you pay for..." right? But this was somewhat anticipated. This was always meant to be part hobby (the riding) and part project (upgrade tinkering). I knew I wanted four (4) family ebikes and didn't want to pay the big $$$ for four good+ quality retail bikes, with plans to upgrade each over time.

My plan remains that I will run the dual battery in parallel test ASAP, hopefully later today (I'm in PST). If the controller behaves I may consider upgrading the 63V caps to 100V, but not sure if it's worth it as I don't know if this controller can handle being upgraded. The other components may not be able to carry more load, right. I love to tinker, tweak and learn new things so the exercise is part of the journey for me. I had a link to add here, then an image for ease of view, but I couldn't share them (newbie - most have 10 posts before I can add such things). I'm not versed on reading the spec sheet for mosfets but can say the chips (all 18) are labeled: TK150E09NE

KPREN thank you, too! Agreed: the bikes must be well fortified for the 1500w motor. I will play it safe and inspect before and after every ride. I have two torque arms, each bike, installed on the back axles. I don't plan to use the bikes for anything aggressive off-road but did want the added power/torque to help lug my 240lbs up some reasonable grades (sorry, I can't easily define "reasonable"). I was very intrigued to learn of the distribution differences you mentioned between the Li-ion and LiFePO4 cells. I will be exploring another project where I dissect three of these LiFePO4 batts (yeah I bought 3 thinking I was getting a good deal) and creating from them two new 52V ??Ah 18S6P packs with new 40A BMS....Yeah, I need to learn the math. I also want to thank you for the tool lead via Grin Technologies. I've seen a few of their YouTube videos. I'll be visiting that page soon.

2old and base2, thanks for your comments guys. I sincerely appreciate you all!
Cheers, Rick CA
Likes For Rick CA: