View Single Post
Old 03-04-21, 05:05 PM
Dylansbob 
2k miles from the midwest

Bikes: ~'75 Colin Laing, '80s Schwinn SuperSport 650b, ex-Backroads ti project...

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 931 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by JT1973
Just helped a friend by the 24” size of this year of super sport! I’m excited to see it as a 650b conversion.
Dylansbob , is there additional clearance for a wider tire or do the Col’ d’ Vie max out that space at around 36mm wide? Also, did those Zac19 rims build up nicely?

thanks for experience!
best,
The Zacs built up pretty nicely. They're a proven, doublewalled extrusion, so they should be at least as strong as my mediocre wheelbuilding skills. I've probably done ~50 wheels in the last decade and still feel like they're ******.

If I pull the adjusters and slam the wheel all the way back, I can fit a set of Hectre on these rims. I'm not because the clearance is ~2mm and I like to ride my local city mtb park on *all* my bikes. The hectes I have came from the co-op and have a slight wobble in the casing. Clearance everywhere else is fine, maybe even for a fender. If I decide to keep this bike, I may put a slightly deeper crimp than the factory did on the chainstays.