Old 03-05-21, 12:59 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4926 Post(s)
Liked 8,059 Times in 3,810 Posts
Originally Posted by Melvang
I have yet to participate in a group ride. This is for a couple reasons. I only know of one bike shop that does group rides. The problem is, I don't consider myself a strong enough rider yet to join them based on their listed speeds in their web site. Plus, I just moved from second to third shift and work most weekends, conflicting directly with their ride times.

Their slowest ride is advertised at 18 mph, and I only average 15 to 16, and don't own any kit yet. Might change that this year.

As caloso said, if you average 15mph solo, you'll probably be fine in an group doing 18mph. Even if you're not, pushing your limits to ride with a group that is a bit above your level is a really effective way to boost your fitness. The first few times, you might hang for a little while, but get dropped. You'll be stronger the next time...and the next...

I will also echo caloso's advice...protect your front wheel. Don't let it overlap the rear wheel of the rider in front of you. Also, be smooth with your braking and accelerations. Learning how to ride smoothly in a group is a skill that takes practice.