View Single Post
Old 03-08-21, 11:03 AM
AndrewJB

Bikes: FUJI Transonic 2.3; Motobecane LeChampion TI SL; Trek 2.3

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 22 Posts
It might have more to do with actual pedal than the clip style.

Last year I got a set of power meter pedals (Assioma DUO), they use the Keo style clips. Like you, I felt they were more "finicky" than the previous Delta style I had.
But the issue was not the cleat style, it is that the pedal will spin so freely that if you just touch them while trying to clip in and miss, they will spin 3-4 times before they stop so you can try again. If you hit the pedal right the first time they clip in no problem.

This excessive spinning is caused by two issues, the good quality free spinning bearings, and the balance/weight distribution of the pedal.

If this is the case with your pedals, you can try packing a little more (and/or thicker) grease in the pedal to tighten it up. In the bearings if they are loose ball bearings, in the shaft if they are sealed bearings. This will generally require taking the pedals apart, so it may not be a practical solution for all...

The other issue was the placement of the shoe/cleat in relation to the pedal when clipping in. For the first month I had to be very deliberate to "un-learn" the previous clip-in placement, and learn the new placement location. It's is surprising how persistent that kind of muscle memory can be before you break the habit.