View Single Post
Old 03-10-21, 08:41 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by Symox
Just an FYI, but you might not want to brush your teeth as you will without a doubt remove the enamel and ruin your teeth.
That's exactly why I don't use abrasive whitening toothpastes and don't have the hygienist polish my teeth after a cleaning. It serves no purpose other than customer satisfaction (the teeth feel so smooooth), and does take a tiny amount of enamel off. So, like the advice given about the pawls, it's a good idea not to needlessly remove the protective enamel from your teeth.

As for:
Originally Posted by psimet2001
You will without a doubt have a quicker failure of the freehub. The pawls aren't tarnished - they have a coating on them to help with long term wear and you have removed it making them softer. That freehub has 6 pawls that are timed in 2 groups by removing 3 you've doubled the engagement time and considering how quickly those pawls wear anyway you have most likely effectively cut the lifetime of that freehub in half.

Just an FYI.
I have no idea what the finish is or how thick that he referred to, but I do know that some anodizing and other treatments on metal are very, very thin and, if removed, can leave the metal much more susceptible to wear, oxidation and other things that they were designed to protect against. I for one appreciate his comment, lest I would be tempted, on a slow, winter, pandemic day to take on such a project.

Last edited by Camilo; 03-10-21 at 08:45 PM.
Likes For Camilo: