2nd In Charge of My House

Bikes: Giant Defy Advanced 2, MEC 1971

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Hi gang,

I read these forums a lot.

I have been seriously cycling for almost 7 years. My distances vary. Pre-COVID, I would commute back and forth to work. A round trip of 40 km. Weekends I would get out for 70 km rides. COVID days would reduce my riding because of the lack of commuting. I would ride 35 km per day instead of 40 km and ride one day on the weekend to 80 km. I would augment with smart trainer for the days I couldn’t get on the road.

I turned 53 in December. My eating habits, I would classify as loosely healthy. The majority of the week, I would eat healthy but I would let loose when I felt like it.

I have a smart trainer, I am still going through the various Apps to figure out what one will work for me before I drop $$’s on one.

Less than a week ago, I suffered a heart attack while cycling on my trainer. The route was nothing out of the ordinary for me, and I didn’t have a heart monitor on. Generally, I can listen to my body. I spent 5 days in the hospital and had a stent put in. I was deemed a minor cardiac event. I believe that cycling helped me get through this relatively unscathed. But I was left concerned that my cycling career would come to a short end. My initial meeting with my cardiologist, he assured me that it doesn’t have to be that way.

I will be researching heart rate monitors now, try to figure out which one is good for recovering cardiac patients. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Also any stories of any cardiac survivors and continued cycling would be appreciated as well.

Sorry to have “hijacked” this, I thought this would be within topic.
Likes For groovykincaid: