View Single Post
Old 03-12-21, 11:04 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10955 Post(s)
Liked 7,485 Times in 4,187 Posts
Originally Posted by Fuji1986
I like the Black Mountain-- looks as strong as the Surly and not much more expensive. Seems to check all the boxes. Thanks for the recommendation.
Mike has blogged about how it isnt a touring frame, and I completely understand the owner of a brand saying that for liability/warranty, but clearly dont agree with it in practice. The frame has mounting points, has comfortable stable geometry, and has tubing that can handle weight. Its as much a touring frame as my old Fuji built touring frame from '90.
I will say that my frame was built with 9/6/9 top and down tubes since it was an early version of the largest size. All other sizes are 8/5/8 heat treated tubing for top and down tubes, so ever so slightly lighter and less stiff. At the same time, the frame size is smaller which will greatly offset the ever so slightly less stiff tubing since smaller triangles are stiffer. I mention this because I am guessing the LHT in your size is probably 9/6/9 or so. Whatever it is, its the same or thicker than the Black Mountain's tubing which simply means stiffer.
Just something to keep in mind.

In general, the stiffness talk is funny to me since I am 215# and with gear, thats 240-250# on the bike. I dont notice twist and flexing with this large diamond frame and high total weight, but others hate similar frames due to flex even though they are smaller and there is less overall weight. Preferences and what we notice is just interesting in general.