View Single Post
Old 03-14-21, 05:22 PM
bulgie
blahblahblah chrome moly

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 507 Times in 265 Posts
I have an older Twinn, 1970, but the frame looks identical to yours. The kickstand on mine is distinctly longer than a normal Schwinn built-in kickstand, so it sticks out wider when deployed (down). Presumably they felt the extra weight of the tandem deserves a wider bracing angle on the kickstand. Mine is so long it hits the hub axle nut when up.

I think that means that is going to be hard to find. I think only an actual Twinn kickstand will work, not say one off a Varsity.

OK I just went out and measured. The one on my similar-vintage Super Sport measures 11-1/2" from the tip (ground end) to where it disappears inside the frame fitting. The one on the Twinn measures 15-1/2", a full 4" longer.

But since yours is newer than mine, maybe they changed the design? YKMMV (Your kickstand mileage may vary)

Oh and those bottom bracket races don't thread in, they are a press-fit. Try to get genuine Schwinn cups, they're higher-quality than others like off a Huffy. You can also get threaded adapters if you want to "upgrade" to 3-piece cranks that use British or ISO threaded bearing cups. The heavy 1-piece cranks are part of the charm of a Twinn though. They add ground-hugging mass for faster downhills too!

Enjoy your Twinn, we love ours and it gets ridden pretty often.

Mark B

Last edited by bulgie; 03-14-21 at 05:28 PM.