Old 03-15-21, 05:55 AM
smokeycanuck

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Touring Noob Pannier Question

So I picked up a new LHT last week with a Tubus Logo rear rack. This spring and summer I plan lots of day tripping and perhaps a few over-nighters/weekend trips around home (southern Ontario) just to get me feet wet touring and build up my fitness. Longer trips i'm hoping will be in my future.

I've been agonizing over panniers. Of course Ortlieb and (Canadian Made) Arkel are on the short list. I'm not looking for a debate on which is the better brand - there's plenty of reading on that topic here and all over touring forums.

My question is what is s good starting point volume wise? I will only be using the rear rack for starters with a Tubus Tara in the radar as a future purchase for the front. I see there are a few bags from each maker that can work as front or rear and then there is just dedicated (larger) rear bags. For my needs would it be wiser to buy the larger bags for rear knowing I wont be packing them too much yet? Or would it be a better to buy smaller at first and then when I buy bigger bags in the future, move the smaller ones up front?

The Ortlieb rollers/packers and Arkel Orca/Dolphins are my short list currently.

Thanks in advance for any comments/feedback.