Old 03-15-21, 01:26 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,482 Times in 4,184 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
Any suggestions on how to solve this?
As others mentioned, I dont add sealant until the tires are seated. Ill add sealant thru the valve.

I really just wanted to post because misery loves company. My first tubeless gravel tires were challenging to seat, but I did it with my Topeak Booster pump. I cleaned and replaced them once and they popped on without an issue on the first try. Then many months later I tried and they wouldnt seat no matter what tricks I tried. Booster pump failed, soapy water did nothing, gas station pump did nothing, tube inside did nothing, etc. Infuriating.
My new tires, Panaracer GK SS in 43, were so difficult to set that I took them into a local shop. I had spent easily 3 hours over multiple days trying to get them to seat using soapy water, a tube so only half would need to seat, spreading the casing, using a tie down around the center of the tire, etc. Oh, and I tried more layers of tape in an effort to build up the inner channel and push the tire out to the shelf.

The shop struggled for at least 15min with 2 guys each working on a tire. One guy finally got one and then took the other and managed to get it to also seat.
I hope to never touch the tires.

The system should be easier than it is. The poor tolerances of both rims and tires make for seemingly never ending combinations of frustration.