Old 03-16-21, 05:20 PM
keraba2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Compatible shifter and FD for Ultegra 6503 ? (another flatbar conversion)

I've had a 2001 Trek 5200 since new, and love it to death. I love how light it is, and its triple chainring set-up. I've probably put 25,000 miles on the 20 years that I've had it.

Once, the right brake/shifter broke. I noticed that a current Sora brake/shifter also had 9 gears. I bought it without thinking, and it worked perfectly. I've had it maybe 10 years?

I would now like to convert the bike to flatbar, since I think the hoods are aggravating my left shoulder. When I ride another bike that I have, the shoulder seems fine (but the bike weighs a ton).

I bought a Sora SL-R3000 (9spd) and R3030 (3spd) (flatbar shifters), because I assumed that they would "just work" as well.

It seemed smart to check the amount of cable that each component used before swapping parts. I measured it by pulling the cable all the way in, placing a piece of tape on the cable, clicking all the way out and measuring the difference.

As you can probably guess, the rear shifter is pretty close, but the front shifter is off. The 6503 right/back is 21mm while the 3000 moves 23. Unfortunately, the 6503 left/front shifter moves 7mm while the R3030 moves 13mm - nearly 2:1.

So I'm trying to figure out the easiest way forward at this point, if any:

- Is the back shifter close enough?
- For the front shifter, should I buy a matching derailleur or should I try to find a closer shifter?

The Sora derailleur (FD-R3030-F) lists these qualities:

Applicable Top-Mid tooth difference 11T - ?
Chain line (mm) 45 - ?
Chain stay angle 63 - 66 - ?
Mounted braze-on - I assume this is what I want. My frame has a little place to screw it on.
Top gear teeth 50T - Mine is 52T. Is this bad?
Total capacity 20T - ?

I believe my chainrings are 30-42-52. They're original.

Any advice would be appreciated.

thanks!