View Single Post
Old 03-17-21, 07:24 PM
pottjar34

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ClydeClydeson
I am a little shorter than you (about 6'5") and I find it difficult to get comfortable on most brands 'XL' bikes, if they even offer one in that size. If getting a mountin or hybrid style bike, you should get at least a 22" or larger frame... look for models in XXL size.

Same goes for road bikes (bikes with 'drop' handlebars) - look for something that comes in a XXL size... in traditionally sized bikes you need a 63 or 64cm at least. Modern bikes with sloping top tubes don't often have size numbers that large - an XXL is more likely measured as 60cm or even 58cm.

As a bigger stronger type person, you also need a robust drivetrain, but pretty much anything in your price range will be sufficient. It's lower cost bikes (<$500) where you might have an outdated 'freewheel' rear hub that will have a bent axle and dissolved bearing surfaces after less than a season of use.

A bike that can take on gravel, carry a heavier rider, and tow a trailer, I would look at a Surly 'Disc Trucker', which is made in 64cm size. I think they also have flat-bar models that might fit.

ANyhoo, the primary thing you need to look for is fit - not every manufacturer makes a bike big enough for you to be comfortable. Don't think that just because one maker calls their bike an XXL or because it's the largest one you can find that it will fit - bigger bikes are out there, but you might have to do some searching.
I was considering maybe a “fat tire bike” if need be. I appreciate your detailed advice.