Old 03-21-21, 10:40 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 369 Posts
I, for one, see no sin here. Of course, I'm a godless heretic generally, so my blessing may not be worth much

I bought a Break-Away (road model) a few years back and put Campy 10sp triple on it. It is sitting in its case as I type this. I have only ridden it a very few times because I have not traveled nearly as much as I had envisioned.

I would say it rides well. Not "it rides well for a break-apart frame" or some other qualifier, just "it rides well," full stop. Getting used to the ride is like getting used to the ride of any new ride. I doubt if you will be disappointed.

From my limited experience, the Break-Away is a very fine option for a break-down travel bike. On word of caution - the dimensions of the bag are a hair bigger than the airline regs permit without an up-charge for oversize baggage. It's by a small amount and it does not look oversized. When I was checking into them the word was that people did not have any problems with airlines due to size, although the usual hijinks about trying to charge a premium because it's a bicycle was still a thing. I have no idea if that is still a problem, but a few years back it was a significant bone of contention. If an when you fly with it, be sure to check out your airline's regulations in advance and print them out to show baggage/check-in people who have their own ideas of what the rules are.