View Single Post
Old 03-22-21, 07:41 AM
alo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
I have come to a similar conclusion. It would be nearly impossible to seal the bead om my 4 inch wide rims, so I run tubeless sealant in tubes. There are benefits. For example, the other day I rode through a lot of seeds with spikes on them. I finished up with about 100 in each tire. When pulling them out, sealant came out several of the holes in each tire. When I got home, I checked the pressure. The tires had lost no more than 2 psi. They still don't leak a couple of weeks later.

The problem occurs when getting a larger hole. For example, I had a 3 inch nail in a tire. It went in the bottom of the tube and out the side. When trying to patch such holes, some tubeless sealant comes out the holes, and makes it so patches wont stick. So you can go through the frustrating experience of patching each hole several times until you get a patch that sticks, or buy a new tube and sealant every time you get a large hole. Which is an option, as I might only get a large hole around once a year, but I often get small holes.

Next time I get a puncture, I am planning to experiment with another idea. I haven't done it yet so I can't say how well it will work, but If it works well I plan to share my idea.