View Single Post
Old 03-22-21, 11:59 AM
stuff shredman

Bikes: 2020 S-Works Tarmac - Sagan Edition /// 2016 Intense Tracer T275C ///

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 28 Posts
When mountain biking, I don't listen to music. I enjoy the quiet peacefulness of the forest on the climbs, and I like to hear what's going on w my tires on the descent.
I'm all for personal freedoms and choice, but I don't like it when other mtb'ers have a boom box in their camelbak, because I have to hear that crap for too long as tunes often carry a long ways in canyons. And, I'm not a fan of folks wearing earbuds on the descents, either, because on single tracks descents ... I'll call out "rider back" or "on your left" when overtaking, and I need people to hear me

Originally Posted by MattTheHat
And for the safety issue. Can someone PLEASE tell me what they do differently when they hear a car coming? For me, the answer is nothing.
For road riding, I'm with you on this one. My behavior wouldn't change. I take the lane when a road is too narrow, and couldn't give a nickel if a car is behind me. They have to figure a safe place to pass. If I'm riding in a place where I'd be on the shoulder, but have to swing into a lane to get around a parked car or obstacle, I'll just take a quick peek over my shoulder to see if a car is approaching. Some of these new EV's are so quiet anyway, I wouldn't rely on sound.