Old 03-23-21, 12:28 AM
stuff shredman

Bikes: 2020 S-Works Tarmac - Sagan Edition /// 2016 Intense Tracer T275C ///

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by tallbikeman
I had a neighbor years ago who wouldn't move to the side of the road for passing cars. He has been dead for several decades now having been unceremoniously run over by a car while riding in the middle of the road exercising his legal right to be there. I came to call that event His "dead right" event. He had every legal right to be riding there and he was dead because of riding there. I always move out of the way of overtaking cars on very narrow two lane roads. If that means I pull over and stop, so be it. I don't want to be "dead right". In fact I always defer to autos/trucks and anything with lots of steel and speed that can hit my soft easily harmed body. I call that my "They always have the right of way if they want it" rule no matter how right I am legally.
It's my belief that you're more likely to be injured or killed if you don't take the lane. So, yes, there's a chance I could end up "dead right", but there's a much much larger chance I'd end up dead by inviting cars and trucks to squeeze by and make unsafe passes. I've tried both methods over my decades on the road and there's no question in my mind which is the safer option. Take care and stay safe.