View Single Post
Old 03-24-21, 12:02 PM
momoman

Bikes: 2013 Wilier Gran Turismo, 1983 Trek 760, 80's Colnago Super, 90's De Rosa SLX, 2009 Waterford 22 Series Singlespeed, 85 Medici Pro Strada, De Rosa Alumino frameset, Dave Molten Fuso frameset, 70's beater Peugeot PX10, Zizzo Liberte, 2022 Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak
For the sake of comparison. Here's a Brooks and a Gyes side by side. I took the calipers to them and the leather and rails are thicker on the Gyes by about a 10th or two of a mm. The other difference is the Gyes have a fabric bonded to the underside of the leather. And of course this clearly shows the real advantage of the Gyes, longer useable rail mounting space. I really see nothing that would make me think a Gyes will not last as long as a Brooks. This Gyes was sold as a Velo Orange model by basically they are all the same. GS-06 model mimics a Brooks Swift.

So the Gyes does have a plate on the bottom side of those leather tabs to strengthen it. Just like the Brooks, you just can't see it.

Shape pretty much the same

Gyes

Brooks

Gyes, this shows that bonded fabric better.

Brooks
Excellent comparison! I think you meant to say the Gyes GS-06 is comparable to the Brooks Swallow. The Swift has saddle wings that come down further to the rails.

I searched and found Gyes saddles with titanium rails for a fraction of the Brooks titanium saddles........Hmmmm.

Also, beautiful bikes in your other post above!