Old 03-25-21, 02:11 PM
fujidon

Bikes: Fuji Pro, Raleigh Team, touring bike, hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 44 Posts
Slower Steering for Gravel Bike

I bought a gravel bike (Specialized Diverge), but I don't really intend to ride gravel. I bought it to use when the roads are in poor condition and for touring.

It meets all of my expectations with one feature being a little more than I actually would prefer. And that is the steering which I find quicker and more sensitive than I am used to. It would probably be perfect for actual gravel riding, but I was hoping for a little more stability for the kind of riding I plan on. I imagine when I set it up for touring with front panniers, it will reduce its sensitivity, but barring that, is there an easy way to slow it down?

Initially, I was looking for a Trek 720, but due to the 6 month wait, frame material and color, (yeah, color actually mattered to me) I chose the Diverge because it seemed so similar.

I test rode the Diverge and it felt fine. It's only since I've put a few hundred miles on it that I've noticed how touchy the steering can be sometimes. There is nothing wrong with the bike. It's me and my preference for slower steering. I should add that on serious downhills where I've approached 40 mph, the bike feels rock solid and perfectly stable. Of course, most of my riding is nowhere near those speeds.