View Single Post
Old 03-27-21, 10:39 AM
billridesbikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 236 Posts
Originally Posted by Bald Paul View Post
I have a neighbor who started cycling after knee surgery. He got to where he could comfortably ride around 18 miles locally, then asked me if I would join him on a charity ride sponsored by a nearby cycling club. One of the routes they offered was a short 20 miles. Of course, I agreed.
On the day of the ride we checked in at the registration table and got our route cuesheet. Roads had been pre-marked with colored arrows at the turns for the various routes.
Off we went. 20 miles, most of which included climbing sections with one section at an 18+% grade. (I'll admit, some of those were 'get off and walk the bike to the top' sections.) Needless to say, we ended up totally exhausted, and spent the next day or two resting our knees (I have had knee surgery previously.) We both swore we would never sign up for a group / charity ride again, unless the route was published on something like RidewithGPS to see what kind of terrain we would be tackling.
How do you approach group / charity rides?

NOTE: section in italics edited to clarify for those conceptually challenged
Just a question: The route was either a loop (most probably) or out-n-back. What stopped you from just flipping a U-ie when faced with wall of road and heading back the other way, was the grade at mile 18~19 somehow?