View Single Post
Old 03-28-21, 09:40 AM
Welshboy
PBP Ancien (2007)

Bikes: Cannondale CAADX (for commuting), Cannondale CAAD12, Cannondale CAAD12 Team CNCPT, Giant Contend 2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 121 Times in 78 Posts
Schwalbe Marathon Plus 25C's

Wow! These have to be the hardest to fit (and also the most expensive) tyre I've ever encountered and it's seriously got me thinking about how I'd manage if I get a flat on my 12-mile each way commute or is there any chance they'll soften up a bit after racking up a few hundred miles or so?

I bought two of these this week after a couple of rear wheel flats and I first tried fitting them to a Shimano wheelset that are designed for tubes and tubeless and thought that might be the problem as I find most wired-on tyres are a bit harder to fit on tubeless ready wheels. Anyway, I have an old pair of road wheels with Mavic Open Pro rims going spare so I thought I'd try them on those but whilst I did eventualy get them on it was a huge struggle and it's not something I'd like to do at the roadside. I'm really thinking about sticking with lighter tyres and accepting the occasional flat as part of the commuting experience and, to be fair, I'm pretty good at changing a tube at the roadside. But if I do stick with these Marathon Plus tyres and I get no flats between now and the end of September (when I retire) then I guess I'll be raising a glass to the Schwalbe designers!