Old 03-29-21, 08:41 AM
m2244

Bikes: Felt Breed 30

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Heh. Back in early June of 2018 I took Amtrak from Philly up to St. Albans and rode home, making a stop in Deerfield, MA, for my 35th high school reunion. I have a friend who has a second place in Burlington. On Day 1 I rode to Burlington for two nights. Planned to ride the section of the trail out into the water. Unfortunately, a freak spring storm had damaged that part of the trail and it was closed.

Another suggestion if you will be renting a car is Missoula, MT. There is a 40+ mile, paved trail south from the city through the Bitteroot Valley to Hamilton. It parallels U.S., but it's still nice with some great mountain views. With a vehicle you could drive a relatively short distance to the Clinton area and ride up and back as much of Rock Creek Rd. as you would like. The first 10 miles are paved, but then it becomes dirt. Gentle grade through Lolo National Forest that runs along a blue ribbon trout stream. You could als drive to Hamilton and climb MT 38 towards Skalkaho Pass. Very pretty ride that is paved at first then becomes dirt/gravel. A ways before you get to the pass there is a neat waterfall. Missoula is alos a college town with lots of places to hang out. Cool river running through town with bike/walking paths. Also the headquarters of Adventure Cycling Association.
Thank you for taking the time to post this. I would love to do a longer trek out west, those mountains have a way of reminding a person of something we can't seem to define. But I don't think I will be able to convince my wife to do something like this.

Hmmm, maybe my sons would like to.... See, now you really have my wheels turning, so to speak.