View Single Post
Old 03-29-21, 07:16 PM
79pmooney
A Roadie Forever

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2940 Post(s)
Liked 1,495 Times in 996 Posts
Originally Posted by rickpaulos View Post
No idea on what caused the scraping. The bike is 20 years old or more and I just got it a few weeks ago. No stories of damage from the previous original owner other than the shifters. The left stopped clicking and her bike shop of choice put a Tourney on to replace the XT and she was pretty disappointed. She had ridden it on trails all over the USA and moved on to a "gravel bikepacking bike.

anyhow, I reversed the radial spokes so they are heads out. finished up the overhaul and reassembly. Back on the road tomorrow as my commuter this spring.
So do I have this right? You rebuilt this wheel but haven't addressed finding out if that is a crack? Yes, that will probably change the life of this hub before that crack goes through but it is anybody's guess whether that failure will come sooner or later. (Changing spoke direction on a re-build is generally considered a no-no. Reversing direction is not the same, but still ...)