Old 04-01-21, 12:28 PM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by freeranger
I agree with you. I've been around and riding bikes for just about as long as I could walk. The cost of today's bikes, especially when you consider the level of components which come stock, seems way high to me. Our mountain bikes, which weren't considered top of the line when purchased, came with Alivio as the components. My wife's Kona came with Alivio and LX. Our LeMond road bikes-Reno model-came with Tiagra components, 105 rear der. decent Bontrager wheels and crankset, and carbon seatpost and fork. None of these bikes were expensive at the time, but when I look at today's bikes, those level of components only come on their more expensive bikes. The money that is being asked for bikes with Tourney, Acera, or Altus derailleurs, and other similar grade components just seems out of line to me. Yes, inflation pays a part, but still seems you get less "bang for the buck" these days.
Until a few years ago, it seemed like the bike industry was pushing more and more features down to lower price points. Carbon forks, 9 speed drivetrains, for example, were obtainable for less then $700. Then all of a sudden, things go the other way. And we are really only talking about a couple of years.
Likes For MRT2: