View Single Post
Old 04-01-21, 03:27 PM
HobbesOnTour

Bikes: 90's Trek 800 Sport, setup for Fully Loaded Touring

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 20 Posts
It really is horses for courses and of course, a route is subjective. I might like mine, you may hate it.

At home (NL) Komoot refused to take me on quiet and intetesting routes, preferring side of the road ones, irrespective of mode. It chose (shorter) distance over quality.

In Nashville it insisted in trying to get me killed on Old Hickory Blvd.

It brought me to several dead ends in National parks and other places.

Here in México city it regularly gets me to "live life to the full" on some ridiculous roads.

Why do I keep using it? Because it has a decent address search function.

My preferred planner is https://cycle.travel/ a small British site where you can actually talk to the people behind it. It is particularly useful for touring with accommodation, overnight stops, different maps and streetview.

In the US it's address search function was inferior, but its routing planning was far superior. At times I used it instead of ACA maps. Much more comfortable.

I dislike Komoot, but use it. I don't trust it much. Their "Global maps" are not global (or at least weren't when last I checked).

For touring, if using apps or online planners, it's probably best to be familiar with a few and to see which one best suits you. I'm not sure they all work the same in all countries, either.

Edited to add:
Osmand is a really good app and once maps are downloaded it works totally offline with the ability to create a gpx file to send to a gps unit.
It's routing is not great, but fine in an emergency.
It's not the most intuitive bit is well worth the effort of mastering.

Last edited by HobbesOnTour; 04-01-21 at 03:32 PM.
Likes For HobbesOnTour: