Old 04-02-21, 05:13 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1451 Post(s)
Liked 2,183 Times in 960 Posts
Glad all's well that ends well!

My criticism had to do with the internal mechanicals of the Regina, especially when compared to a Suntour Perfect or ProCompe of the same vintage.

I'll not go into all the differences, but the pawls are probably the easiest to describe. The Regina pawls are shaped like little flags on a short pole. The "pole" fits into an oversized hole in the inner body. There is a little bit of a grove for the "pole" to pivot on but it does not hold the pawl in place.

As you can see, the pawl springs (in this model and I'm guessing in yours as well) is a pusher leaf spring. This was a big improvement over the previous spring version which was a tiny wire (which flopped around, can fall out, and can easily disengage from the shallow track cut into the back of the pawl). However, I have seen these leaf springs compressed closed, and thus not doing their job. This can be caused by corrosion, contamination, etc..

This is about the best picture I have of a Suntour Perfect inner body without the pawls in place. Notice the precision of the groves in which the pawls pivot. These groves securely hold them in place. Now, to be fair, Suntour used a wire spring as a pusher as did earlier Reginas. However, Suntour's spring is more robust, securely pinned to the body, and the rear guide V in the pawl is deeper.

(This is a Metric threaded Perfect. Out of focus in the bottom right the deep spring V grove can be seen. Notice the upper pivot track is cracked and deformed. I've only seen this once, and IIRC, this was used on a tandem.)

This is a good view looking down on the same Perfect without the bearings installed.

Notice how nicely the upper pivot fits into its slot and is held securely in place. Of course, the lower one is sloppy due to the crack and separation in this instance. Also notice how nicely the pawls fit into the ratchet teeth.

There are other differences, but this is one reason I'd select a Perfect or a ProCompe over a Regina.

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Likes For pastorbobnlnh: