Old 04-03-21, 05:57 AM
John Valuk

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 168 Times in 109 Posts
Originally Posted by Papa Tom
Update (March 31, 2021): Shimano STILL doesn't have the parts. They are now estimating that they will be available in "four to six months."
Last summer, I woke up my '95 Trek 730 after a long slumber so that I could start riding again. While looking up something else related to the bike, I ran across information that made me aware of that recall. For my 730, the recalled cranks were FC-MC12.

After talking to someone at Shimano to get some details about what the recall repair would involve, I started looking for only-slightly-newer components. I bought a used FC-MC16 crankset, which visually appears to be very much the same design. Since my original chainrings were in better condition, I moved them over to the FC-MC16 arms. It's all good, and working fine, and it retains the original appearance.

(After I purchased that, but before it arrived, I also purchased a complete FC-MC16 crankset that appeared to be in like-new condition. Someone had a bunch of them on eBay. Since they weren't in original Shimano packaging, I would guess that they might have been taken off of new bikes back in the day. That seller has sold at least 13 of those cranksets on eBay, and still shows having 4 available.)

Depending on how you feel about the situation, desired outcome, and timing, you might consider doing something similar to try to find a replacement for the recalled FC-CT90. I think that might mean an FC-CT91 if you wanted to still have the same 38/32/24T chainring configuration. I think that the FC-CT92 and FC-CT93 use a 42/34/24T setup.

If I'm waiting for something like that to turn up on eBay, I set up some "saved searches" so that I get email notifications. If I specify in the search that it should only include listings that have been started within the previous 24 hours, that avoids some duplicate notifications. Since not all sellers will be thinking about Shimano part numbers, you might need to look for Altus cranksets, and then visually scan the results.

If you were considering this route, I see one active listing now that might be of interest: Shimano Altus Hyperdrive -C Crankset, Mt. Bike/Road, 38-32-24 Chainrings, 170mm. I have no connection to that seller, and can't personally vouch for them or the listing.