Old 04-05-21, 06:12 PM
psychoanalyst

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
I tried mr. tuffys lot of years ago.....were a pain would never use again, I would start with new tubes and no mr. toughy

As for tire sizing, as best i can tell your bike would have come with 25mm original spec. The SRAM RED is speced to work with 28mm (again as best I can tell)

IME with 105 5800 speced for 28 mm, i do need to deflate the tire or push hard to get by the brake pads, but one settled in I close the the quick release and have good range to adjust the calipers.

I would suggest 25mm or even better 28mm will help with with punctures.

then you need to decide on the tire and need to balance performance vs puncture resistance.... you have a race bike.....how are you riding it and what to you want for ride.

if you want performance with reasonable puncture resistance I have had good luck with the Conti GP 5000 in 28 and the continental race light tube. No flats in 400 miles. I used them for commuting pre covid. I also used Vittoria Corsa G ....they were great riding but horrible for flats averaing a flat every 80 miles (i am 250 lb and run the tires at about 90f 100 rear)
Yeah...Mr. Tuffy is out for me too!
Thanks for the notes on the clearances. As I mentioned before, my coarse measurements with a 12 in ruler (I am getting calipers to dial it in more accurately) tells me that I won't have the clearance for 28mm tubes with the quick release closed. With the quick release open though I am measuring a ~30mm opening.
I am not a racer, but a recreational rider. I used to go out riding 70-80 miles a week, but I have twin toddlers now so I don't get out that much anyway, but one activity I really want to get more into is taking my twins out in my bike trailer on rides. I did that with my son and was 5 miles away from home when I ran a flat and got a mouthful from wifey! Sooo...if I am to continue this activity, I really need to convince her that I have a long term fix for the flat problem...
My choice for new tires would be Conti Gator Hardshells. I already have several of the Schwalbe SV15 tubes. The other option is tubeless ready tires, but use them with tubes.