Old 04-06-21, 01:22 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
used to live in and around a new home construction zone and my flats were every 500 miles or less and frequently in the last mile or two from home.
between industrial staples, small nails, metal shavings, razor blades and the like...there were plenty of flats. used the mr. tuffy liners for a while. since moving
(and still living in a major metropolis), a flat is closer to every 1,500 miles. got in the habit of removing the entire tire, inspecting it, turning it inside out, inspecting it and
reinstalling after extracting anything objectionable on either tire side. also gives me a chance to check tire wear from the inside (the occasional internal flat happens
with wear) and use a dollar bill or two as a boot to get home.

running my '23 conti 5000gp's and '23 michelin pro service 4's at 95 psi weighing 175 lbs. always unweight the saddle over railroad crossings and rough road.
personal flats bugaboo the last few years have been freshly trimmed bougainvilleas or similarly thorned plants so i try to give those a wide berth if possible.
glass, surprisingly has rarely been a problem in two decades of riding...up there with the random inner tube failure...like every 5 years or so.

i'll reinflate to 40 psi, check both sides of the tire to insure no tube is poking out/bulging, then continue inflating. new tires can be difficult to extract a tire lever w/o
potentially tearing tube so i usually bring an extra in case. if it's a boonies area w/o support, bringing 4 tubes. laff if you like but went through 6 tubes in a 78 mile
ride a few years ago (all small thorns) out in east county san diego and had to ride 10 miles back to the car (mostly uphill) in the dark with sporadic, fast traffic on a
semi-winding road with only a single taillight, a rear tire at 50 psi and half a moon for vision/front lighting. unintentionally epic. don't wanna do it again.

Last edited by diphthong; 04-06-21 at 01:54 AM.