Old 04-06-21, 09:41 AM
afc888ny

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Talking more specifications

Originally Posted by 2old
Hard (for me) to understand your question, but if you're trying to separate the individual cogs of a freewheel, there are various methods. I did it several years ago; AIR the individual cogs were held together by three thin bolts.
Again it is a shame this website only allows special users the right of posting pictures, but this specific freewheel doesn't have any such bolts. The question is a specific one; there is a washer with 6 concave notches on its outer rim(going inwards toward the center of washer/ring) on top of the high most cog. It probably is locking it there and has no notches from the inside, thus you can't insert some wrench into the whorl and loosen the outer lockring(like often the case with cassette cogsets, ones more specifically where you insert a specified wrench into the whorl and the spindles turn the top lock washer loose), unless this model is a total anomaly and should be unscrewed from the underside, it would most likely be a tool that has 6 protruding teeth on the inside to circumvent the 35 mm diameter outer lockring.
I think in one other case we removed the smallest cog and the rest came off.
In the original post I described how I have already taken apart the Shimano MF-TZ21 freewheel, but I didn't mention specifically that I simply just used the two chain whips to twist the top cog off to free the other cogs and spacers. I originally thought that this was self evident, but if you feel that way I guess I will have to work on my description skills to specify more fully.
just don't tell them it's for an "e" bike.
This exposes a problem which alot of people with ebikes have, that is corporations even chain bike shops organize against self made ebikes(regular bike + ebike kit + your hard work and excellent training). This is a type of "sneaky" climate denial, which fits into 2016 Vice Presidential Candidate Ajamu Baraka's political categorization "soft right", parallel with how Joe Biden stalled/smeared some youth climate activists at the end of 2020. Also it is the status quo/oligarchy protecting itself. Sure, 80% of bike shops near New Brunswick, NJ will refuse servicing ebikes for the legal liability reasons, but this is just a façade for them slacking on their social responsibility to fight for a better planet.

Probably there's another forum where there are individuals who are more well versed;
Any recommendations of other forums?

AFAIK, all freewheels can be separated, but I've only done it to a couple.
I doubt lower end manufacturers would allow users to do this, if so they wouldn't profit and then make less in Q1. But I have a good experience with Shimano so far though.

Last edited by afc888ny; 04-06-21 at 09:51 AM. Reason: clarity