sasa_ke

Bikes: Fuji Track 2020

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts
One Loose Spoke

Hey everyone,

I wanted to ask some advice about this one loose/loud spoke on my bike. I'm just starting to learn about bikes so apologies for any wrong terminology.

I bought a Fuji Track at a local store. I love the bike and have already upgraded a couple of things on it but there's an issue... one spoke on the rear wheel is loose and makes a loud sound where it rubs. I took it back in for the free included tuneup and mentioned this issue and specifically showed the guy how loose the one spoke is. He said he'd make sure to true the wheel carefully and I said that the wheel was true, the issue was just this one loose spoke making noise and probably getting slowly damaged. So he said that he'd make sure to look into it.

Anyway I went and picked it up today and after about ten minutes of riding the sound and looseness came back! I'm pretty disappointed... and not sure what to do next. The bike store guys are very nice but don't really seem like they know what I'm talking about when I go in there. I don't want to just tighten the spoke myself because so many people have told me that if you don't know what you're doing, you can crack your rim doing this.

I'm wondering if this wheel just has an undiagnosed issue or if, being a 28H track wheel, it's just not quite up to the abuse I'm putting it through on my commute as a 180lb guy going over pretty bad city streets.

So, the question is, what do I do? Go back to the original LBS? Go to a different one? Try something at home? Get a new wheel? I'm lost.

Thank you!