Old 04-10-21, 09:46 PM
sdimattia

Bikes: Wabi Classic, Bombtrack Hook, Bombtrack Tension, Vitus Substance

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by Gresp15C
I'm betting the bike is good to go as-is. But a lot depends on how the trails are constructed in your neck of the woods, and the weather. In my region, dry rail-trails are almost as smooth, and sometimes smoother, than the roads. Wet trails can be a mud pit if its been raining a lot. I don't do anything special for trails, just ride my regular bikes, including a single speed with 28mm tires and 65 GI. I see every manner of bike on the trails, including skinny tire road bikes.

The fenders might be your friends if it's not bone dry.
Originally Posted by scottfsmith
The trails in cooler weather also can stay wet in spots longer than you would think after a rain. Once summer comes they will dry out faster, but I have been caught several times in spring/fall wishing I had grabbed my fenders. The GK slicks you have should be fine as long as it is nearly all dry.
I'll keep the fenders then. They are full length fenders if that makes any difference but I can also swap them out for a set of A** Savers Fender Bender and Speed Mullet if need be. I guess when I think of trails, I figured some tread might be needed but for packed dirt and a path that is 70/30 paved/dirt, as long as the slicks have traction on the dirt bits then I should be good. The trails are pretty clear and well maintained so they shouldn't be too gunky.

I did try riding my daily SS with 25mm slicks through some chunky loose gravel one time - I spent most of that time fishtailing all over the place. It was quite fun.