Old 04-15-21, 03:23 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
Originally Posted by Indigo82
A couple of days ago a car driving in opposite direction to me was overtaking another vehicle over a solid white line. It passed just a meter away from me going towards me at full speed. This made me think if I want to stay on the asphalt roads or do more bikepacking when possible for my own safety.
Same exact thing happened to me five years ago. About one or two seconds before we passed on the road is when the driver turned into my lane. What you described is a driver that is not looking where he or she is going.

When on such roads, I wear high vis color jersey or jacket.

I do not keep a front light on during the day when touring, but I need to start re-thinking that when the traffic is busy and there is no shoulder. But the same thing has happened to me many times when I was driving a motorcycle with a bright headlight on, so a light is not a magic answer either.

From behind, flashing taillight in daytime, if foggy or overcast sometimes use two such taillights. I always tour with two taillights, usually one is off and serves as a spare.

I usually schedule my tours for a month or two before the busy season. I want to be going home when most of the out-of-town tourists start arriving when I travel to somewhere that has a lot of tourism, I do not want to be on the roads when they are busier.
Likes For Tourist in MSN: