Thread: Hydration
View Single Post
Old 04-16-21, 11:24 AM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 255 Posts
I have a Bontrager and like it ok; however, I have a different take on summer riding and water.

I live in a hot and humid State where summer rides get to 100 degrees and 98% humidity. I perspire so much that I have to take in a lot of water to keep from crapping out. Drinking that much cold water quickly enough to keep hydrated is not easy to do for me. I let the bottle get warm. Not great to drink but that warm water doesn't cramp me up like cold water.

I also used to live in Arizona where a cool summer ride was 105 and a hot one was 117+. It was 130 degrees on the pavement. Same deal. I found that cold or oven cool water made me feel ill and cramp up. I would put two water bottles in the frig to cool them off but my third bottle was room temperature. By the time I got to the cooled ones, they were warm and ready to go.

Unless you're used to drinking a lot of cool or cold water, you may want to experiment first before you dive in for a long first ride with cold water.
Likes For drlogik: