Old 04-16-21, 12:04 PM
cbrstar
BMX Connoisseur

Bikes: 1988 Kuwahara Newport, 1983 Nishiki, 1984 Diamond Back Viper, 1991 Dyno Compe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 69 Posts
Currently I'm working as a Youth Employment Councilor (18-25), and I've been coming across a huge amount of young people without drivers licenses. In fact I would say it's only 1/10 with a DL in my area. But the surprising thing is that they don't also cycle! IMHO it's because their helicopter parents have been a full time taxi for them all their lives. For example as a kid if I wanted to go play baseball on the other side of town I had to get there on my own and that meant walking or cycling. My Dad would show up for a major game but even then only if he wasn't working. Now days the parents drive the kid across town and then sit there for hours and hours to support them even if it just practice. Kids flourish with support but instead of developing being independent they are developing co-dependency. When they finally have to go out into the world their anxiety sky rockets and they cope by shutting themselves in. Of course this isn't all kids.

TLDR:
But I believe when you cycle for freedom and transportation no snobby jerk is going to discourage you from doing it. If it's just exercise and a sport and you're not in love with it then your are not going to stick it out.
Likes For cbrstar: