Old 04-16-21, 03:49 PM
kissTheApex

Bikes: Yes please

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 308 Times in 199 Posts
Originally Posted by ericcox
I have Assiomas on my bike... buy my question is more to those who despise look keo-style systems, I have been on Look for many years before this (bake to delta pedals, transitioning to Keo in 2006 or so). What makes SPD-SL so much better in your view? I've not used them, and I've read several people note they prefer SPD-SL, but have not read a definitive "why." I see major differences with Speedplay (obviously), but don't get the Keo hate from SPD-SL users (or vice versa). I'd be perfectly happy to try Shimanos if someone would gift me some :-)
I switched to Keo from SPD-SL. from my perspective, there is absolutely no difference on the bike. Only notable (to me) difference is when off the bike and when moving off of a stop sign/ red light. I use classic keo cleats (non grip version) and they have a 50/50 tendency to slip on the asphalt when starting after a complete stop when I can’t get going perfectly and have to push off with my unclipped foot.

I use cleat covers off the bike, so walking with keo cleats is not a problem for me, but I can understand how problematic it can be judging by how easily it slips when starting from a full stop. With SPD-SLs, neither walking, nor starting off a red light has been a problem.

Another point is probably the depth of the “lip”. I don’t know what to call it but the edges that engage to the pedal are deeper on spd-sl, and it accepts thick neoprene over boots better than the Keo cleat/pedal combination.

what I like about keo cleats are, most of all the look memory eyelet system*, which makes swapping cleats a 1 minute job, and the wear indicator holes on the cleat body. I almost always unclip with the same side and when that cleat wears down, I can swap left/right cleats minutes before I go out for a ride.

* In fact, this feature is so good that even though specialized shoes are a better fit to my feet, I keep buying shoes that have the look memory eyelet anchors in the soles.