Old 04-18-21, 07:19 PM
Real1shepherd

Bikes: Trek, Raleigh, Schwinn, Yokota

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TheOriginalJerk
Well, tried to clean up the shifters this morning, no go. The casings were busted where the cables go in. So, off to the bike shop we go, hi ho, hi ho. Inspection shows she has 1 bent spoke, brakes totally suck and the tires are dry rotted. I’ll let ya all know the bill to put her back in better shape than I’m in.

Update: Bike shop took it easy on me. $190 to replace the shifters, brakes, cables, true the wheels, adjust everything on the bike, inspect and repack the bearings, new tires, and give it a bath. Should have it back next week and can start riding again.
You'll have trouble finding those shifters....I did. Unless you're near some big bike coop like they have in Boulder. T-mar helped me a lot on figuring out which Shimano shifters I had. They do pop up now and again on eBay. That's one heck of a bike shop if they replaced those rapid fire Shimano shifters with the same. Pretty steep plus your purchase price....probably something out there in better shape for less. But if you're happy, that's great!

There's a good tutorial on YouTube for cleaning and lubing those shifters. DO NOT attempt to take them apart and repair....unless you've had considerable experience with rapid fire shifters. There's also a well written tutorial on these shifters as well.

A lot of info on this thread, so scroll back and read my foibles.

Kevin

Last edited by Real1shepherd; 04-18-21 at 07:22 PM.