Old 04-19-21, 11:18 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Originally Posted by Ti473
Hey folks, I got a cannondale caad 10, QR disc.
I recently upgraded from a set of mavic Ksyrium Pro disc to EVNE SES 5.6.

Without getting into the debate of rim vs disc...

With the new wheels I cannot get rid of the annoying disc rub, but only when I put some torque on the front end while climbing/standing/accelerating.

Things to be said:

Rotors on new wheels are dura ace and are actually a tad thinner than the Sram on the Mavics
Rotors are true, calipers have been aligned perfectly (when bike is on the stand there's equal gap all the way around, no rubbing), pistons have been cleaned and retract evenly, pads are organic so should be quieter than metal ones.
The wheel is seated all the way in the dropouts and skewer is tight as hell. I noticed that it seemed to get a little better when I tightened the living crap out of it, but still a little rub.

Here's my guess to what's happening: there's a little flex/play in the hub that causes the evil rub. I don't know if the fact that the Enve's are really a 12x100 hub converted to 9x100 via caps exacerbates the problem. The Mavic hubs were born as a true 9x100 QR disc hub, and although things are a little finicky to get aligned (welcome to the disc world), I can always get them right.

I'm almost thinking about using one of those 12 to 9 sleeve adapters to see if it helps, although the clamping force should still be transferred from the fork to the end caps (it would be the 12mm caps though). to the to the axle to the hub body.

Before I resort to my park tool NE 4.1, any suggestions?
Don't adjust the calibers so there is equal gap all around. Adjust them so they don't rub after releasing the brake lever. Just don't look at them. That's my 2 cents worth. Try it.