Old 04-20-21, 04:33 AM
xaero

Bikes: Focus Izalco Race 9.7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01 View Post
If you are used to sitting upright, then trying to change that might be more an effort of getting used to another position than it is anything else.

As I said, I'm not too flexible but getting aggressive with my position isn't an issue. If you have no need to get aero, then maybe it won't be for you. Don't be looking at aggressive fit bikes. Nothing looks worse aesthetically than a low stack bike with umpteen dozen spacers under the stem and a ridiculously angled stem to give more height to the bars.

But if you give up the desire to get more aero, you'll also give up a way to save energy on long rides. For a weak legged cyclist that I am, being aero helps me to have energy to finish a century reasonably strong. At least strong for me, but maybe not compared to the person that passed me in the last 100 meters.
Originally Posted by Badger6 View Post
Not silly at all. If you donít know the answer and cannot find a satisfactory explanation on your own itíd be silly not to ask.

Understand this: mass market frames fit a range of people. For instance, a Size S is specified to fit from 171-175cm. Thatís not a huge range, but we all have slightly different length arms, torsos, and legs. Therefore, there are different length stems to adjust reach (to the bars) and seat posts can be adjusted up or down to get the correct leg extension. And, because of this adjustability in the seat post and different length stems, sometime a person at the edge of the size range can opt for a hike the next size up or down.

At 174, though their baseline sizing is a S, you could probably ride a M. There is enough adjustment in the seat post and seat tube interface to get the saddle height correct. Since you sound like youíve got a longer torso (taller than me by 1cm with an inseam .5cm shorter), though you felt ďstretched out,Ē coming from a city bike thatís a normal feeling. Race bikes will have your torso at a lower angle than youíre used to riding. But, a shop should be able to quickly make a determination if you need a shorter stem. We canít answer that without seeing your position on the bike.
Thank you guys for detailed explanation on this. My first aim is not getting aero type bike for just showoff about aesthetics. That's why I gravitate to endurance type frames, Focus has a bit more aggressive than other brands on endurance frames. Based on calculations and experiences from you guys, I am convinced about baseline sizing should be S, yet M size can be adjusted for me as well. Next thursday I'll try S frame on aluminum frame for just only trial (dealer has not S on carbon frame).and do back to back comparison on both frame.