View Single Post
Old 04-21-21, 01:48 PM
eddie_the_K

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Climbing San Marcos Pass

Any advice on riding a segment of CA 154, San Marcos Pass Rd? Only the 1.5 mile section between Old San Marcos and West Camino Cielo.

Planning a tour of the Central Coast this October (https://ridewithgps.com/routes/35768031). One leg takes me from Santa Barbara to Solvang. I am planning on Old San Marcos Pass Rd. to the intersection with 154. I have no interest in crossing 154 to the infamous epic climb on Painted Cave Rd, I plan a left turn onto 154 up to near the summit. There I will take another left onto West Camino Cielo to Refugio Road, then down to to Solvang. That section is closed to vehicles, so I will probably be portaging a short section. So I'm on the highway for just that 1.5 miles.

It's *only* 41 miles, but each one counts.

I drove that road many times when I lived in Santa Maria, 40 years ago. It was pretty busy then, so I can only imagine now. Has anybody seen it lately? Street View looks fine with a shoulder but the map is not the territory.

I'll be riding 40s or 50s for the whole ride, so W. Camino Cielo and the portaging should not be too bad. Any advice on that great opinion?