View Single Post
Old 04-21-21, 08:58 PM
LisaG71

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by zandoval
Getting back in the saddle... Oh Boy, What Fun!

1> There is a seat out there that allows you to ride all day without any pain; but the Elves snapped them all up to ride thier unicorns. Still, the search goes on. On a hip replacement you are going to need a wide seat. Don't get fancy. If you must have extra padding and springs then your not ready to ride yet. Try a female "Sanctus" seat. They are not expensive and found through Amazon easily.

2> Finding your Ballance just requires training. When you are riding don't look to far off in the distance and not to close either. Ride slow and focus about 3 meters in front of your front wheel. Ride at first in a parking lot and pick things out on the surface to ride around. I usually go through an empty parking lot picking two rocks or leaves on the ground and try to get both my tires through them without touching them. It works. Also, when riding I am always trying to pick out my next place to fall. Here is a good test. Stand up on one leg and close your eyes. How long is it before you tip? That gives you an idea of how fast and over what terrain you can ride.

3> Bicycle Rack? Much latter... Keep your bike clean and simple. Keep your bike light and maneuverable. Latter you will know when you can afford the extra weight of a rack.

Notes: You are coming back after surgery. You are a different person now so you have to learn what this new person can do, but slowly and without injury. You probably should lower your seat a little (1"-2.5cm) or more from the way you used to have it. You might need to raise your handle bars up a little too. For me straight bars even with a 6° back sweep are uncomfortable. You may want to consider getting a handle bar with more sweep. At least from 15° to 40°, something like the "Origin8 transit Ergo" Handlebar. Don't worry about your resting tremor. I have had guys blast past me on thier bikes who had sever Parkinsonian tremors. Yep... GOOD LUCK!!!
This is the only Sanctus I found.
https://smile.amazon.com/Comfortable...g-goods&sr=1-3
and
I also found this.
https://smile.amazon.com/Most-Comfor...eation&sr=1-27