View Single Post
Old 04-22-21, 12:42 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), Cilo Road Frame, Proteus frame, Ti 26 MTB

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2373 Post(s)
Liked 1,377 Times in 924 Posts
Never heard of KAC before so I wouldn't really want to trust it. I have seen some of those Amazon brands and not really much of quality. Nothing I wouldn't want to put my bikes on and travel with. Thule costs more money because they are a quality company with excellent support and innovative products. You are paying for R&D not just lets sort of sloppily copy a design we saw in a picture. You get easier on and off, pivoting, tilting or swinging gates so you can open the trunk in some cases with the bikes on the rack and really solid mounting and other neat design features that companies are starting to copy now.

In terms of Saris they are cheaper racks over all but do have a lifetime warranty and decent enough quality on the low end for the casual rider. I do have occasional problems with their racks but pre-pandemic they have always supported us and the customers during the pandemic of course things have changed quite a bit but I know they are working through a lot.

Keep in mind these are safety devices and if it does fail it could cause some major issues. Sometimes it is just a wrecked bike but sometimes it can be more serious and end in injuries to people or worse. I want to know that because this is a safety device that the manufacturer will support me if it does happen to fail or at least will be around should I need them.

If you are a pro there is a team car with probably some more custom designed roof racks, I have not seen any hitch or trunk racks at any pro races. If you were a pro you have sponsorships and all of that and wouldn't need to be asking questions here. Though it would be cool to hear from Mathieu Van Der Pol or Peter Sagan or someone like that here. If you were a pro you could get a sponsorship from Thule or KŁat or something and get some really neat racks and such. I would love to build out the ultimate gravel/CX/MTB vehicle with a Thule Roof Tent and Thule rack at the back and sorts of other fun Thule accessories that was all taken care of through sponsorship but that ain't gonna happen.