Thread: Packing an iPad
View Single Post
Old 04-22-21, 12:59 PM
fourfa

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 27 Posts
Assuming this goes in a fully-waterproof pannier... Personally I'd go with a full-zip neoprene sleeve (with a semi-rigid cardboard/plastic panel over the screen), and maybe a waterproof zip bag over that when needed. Big sturdy ziploc freezer bag would do, or an Aloksak if you want sturdier. I've had the same set of Aloksaks for more than 10-15? years and they've held up well to heavy use including SE Asia monsoon seasons, highly recommended.

Another option is something like this, which I used for a 15" laptop on a 3-month bike tour with good success (don't ask why I brought a full size laptop and DSLR camera system on bike tour, lol). I see an 11" size which should match the regular size iPads, 13" should work for the 12.9" Pro (an excellent device BTW). On my older 15" I had to add a little padding on the bottom edge of the interior sleeve (opposite the opening) where it was too thin

I have traveled extensively with a laptop in a Pelican case (backpacking, not bike touring, again with large camera system) and it's just bulkier than was really necessary. I only use it for truck duty now where crates bounce around a lot on washboard backcountry roads, and dust intrusion is unstoppable