View Single Post
Old 04-23-21, 07:25 AM
Hank195

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
I agree with the comments above that something is wrong with those wheels or their build if you are breaking spokes that frequently.
A few years ago I got my first good (for me) road bike in many years. The bike was used and has H plus Son rims with Sapim CX Ray spokes. After riding less than 1000 miles I noticed a broken spoke on the front wheel - broken at the first thread. As I looked closer at the wheel I realized that a number of spokes must have been previously replaced since they were straight gage round or butted spokes (rather than CXRays). Further investigation revealed that the rims are drilled with the spoke holes at a slight angle so the spoke has a straight path to the hub flange. However, the wheel was laced with the hole “pointing” to the opposite hub flange. This puts the spoke in bending as the spoke tension attempts to straighten out the misalignment and sets up a classic fatigue case for failure at the first thread (Kt) stress riser. Since all the spokes likely had fatigue damage, I replaces all the spokes and re-laced the wheel properly. Nearly 10,000 miles later the wheel has required no additional attention.
This may not be your problem but might be worth checking.

Last edited by Hank195; 04-23-21 at 07:31 AM.
Likes For Hank195: